Monday, July 08, 2013

Firefly

Image courtesy: gettyimages

A firefly
flies across night sky
burning its bum

Triggering a light
enough for
invisible particles

Following its flight
is a real life fantasy
and indeed fun.

Footnote:

I had a wonderful time watching the fireflies during my stay in Thandikudi - a village on the Palani or Kodai Hills, last month. We spent a whole evening and night without power but had fun time with cousins and cool weather for comfort, we saw the fireflies flashing around us. I couldn’t remember when I saw the fireflies early but this time was memorable, having them closer, I wonder how much wondrous we miss by using spotlights everywhere hiding the magic that happens in darkness.

We tried to catch them, but they are on their ways across valleys and ridges, and following them is impossible.  So we stayed away admiring the beauty blink in darkness. 

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i get to see them here sometimes. they ARE magical. :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love fireflies...that magically light up the sky on hot summer evenings. They're one of my favorite things about summer.

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Brilliant! Was taken back in time to my childhood when watching fireflies was a fascination.

Krishna/കൃഷ്ണ said...

nice poem...

great memorable experience...

thanks for sharing...

ZielonaMila said...

Wonderful photo:) Greetings

Destination Infinity said...

I have never seen a firefly in the dark, Jeevan. Don't you have any of their pictures taken in the night?

Destination Infinity

Jeevan said...

Destination Infinity - No rajesh. I also don’t think I could capture them unless there are plenty flying around.

KK said...

I remember seeing fireflies in our ancestral village in Himachal. Now, I think I get to see a few in summers in Mohali, but I do not feel as crazy for them now :-)

George said...

When I was a child we always tried to catch fireflies. Now, like you, I just admire the way they light up the darkness.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Jeevan, Great photo. We call them "Lightning Bugs" in this area of the USA.... We have them ---lots of them, and I remember the years when my sons caught many of them and put them in a jar...

Hugs,
Betsy

Rajesh said...

As a kid it was delight to see them in the night. No w I do not get to see them.

Meoww said...

I really want to see the fireflies now!!! So so pretty, they look.