Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sunday Photos – Ganesh Chaturthi

Ganesh Chaturthi is a grand festival in India, devoted to Ganesha – a prime deity worshiped by Hindus. Here I like to share some photos relevant to festival at home and Ganesha procession from our street temples.

20150917_124501
 The clay idol of Ganesha, bought for the festival at home

20150917_135845
 Feast in front of the idol as a dedication and part of worshiping

20150919_175456
 A worshiping process (burning camphor) before the clay idol was put to immerse

20150919_175812
Clay idol of Ganesha immersed in tub water to dissolve... to be poured for plants and shrubs once turned liquid. This is a process we have been practicing for last 5-6 years, rather immersing into water bodies that result water pollution.

Ganesh Procession
Couple of Ganesha procession (above and below) from our street temples on the day of Ganesh Chaturthi 

Ganesh Procession

Ganesh Procession

13 comments:

Sandi said...

What is that in the second photo that looks like a long vegetable or fruit on a stick?

Arti said...

Wow! Love the clay idol, feels like the Ganesha is live. Loved knowing more on how you celebrate it the eco friendly way, thanks so much for sharing. Ganpati Bappa Morya ~

TexWisGirl said...

lovely traditions and festival!

Jeevan said...

Sandi - that's Pearl millet

Sandi said...

Thanks, Jeevan. I've never seen it here (in the US). I googled and looks like we don't grow much here, but there is some imported.

Anonymous said...

Simply amazing! I was wondering why you'd dissolve the clay - love that it's for the plants. Awesome. Thanks for sharing these. I'm always learning something from you!

Uppal said...

Love the practice of immersing the idol in water at home and using it for plants. I think it should be followed by all rather than polluting the water bodies!

Destination Infinity said...

I applaud your family's approach of not polluting the water bodies. That's an excellent example. Time for all of us to get inspired and follow the same :)

Destination Infinity

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi, Even though I don't comment much these days, I always enjoy your posts... This festival looks so interesting ---and a learning experience for me, since I had never heard of Ganesha.... Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

EG CameraGirl said...

This festival is so interesting, Jeevan. How long does the festival last?

Twilight Man said...

Lord Ganesha is very well received and worshiped in my country by the Hindus and much of the Chinese too.
I am so surprised to hear of this brilliant ritual to immerse the deity to dissolve into the water! This is an eye opener to me. Thank you Jeevan.

Rajesh said...

Great set of images. Wish you Happy Ganesh Chaturthi.

Renu said...

Lovely Pics! Even I brought the same clay idol and we also do the visarjan same way..