Saturday, February 06, 2016

Indian Palm Squirrel

On a palm tree! The picture was shot at my previous house and the squirrel was running vertically up and down on the coconut palm tree of the neighbor's. The Indian palm squirrel also known as three-striped palm squirrel, is a species of rodent in the family of Sciuridae and it is found naturally in India and Sri Lanka. 

Indian palm squirrel 

A note on memories:

I think Saturdays and squirrels have a link between, because I listening to squirrels chitter mostly on Saturdays. It doesn’t begin now, but from the childhood days I happen to listen to squirrels mostly on Saturdays and that doesn’t mean I don’t hear them on any other days. During my childhood days my parents usually take us to Anantha Padmanabha Swami Temple every Saturday after visiting the Vinayagar temple at Adyar signal, I used to watch squirrels running here and there and chittering along the corridor.

There’s an almond tree on the rear of the sanctum from where the squirrels come into the temple premises and unlike now, the temple used to be empty and calm enough to hear the squirrels shrill clearly. I also used to pick up the almond leaves that fall to the ground after being ripen and bring it to home and have breakfast in it as the leaf was big enough to hold a idly. Sometime I go to tuition on Saturdays (then) and listen to squirrels chitter from the trees nearby the tuition teacher’s home making a diversion from studies.  Whenever I hear squirrels chittering and knowing it was Saturday I am linked back to memories automatically and today is one of those days where I listen to squirrels. 

Linking this post with SATURDAY CRITTERS

11 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

The squirrel looks so tiny compared to the trunk of the palm tree!

Indrani said...

Gravity defying squirrel! :)

TexWisGirl said...

so very cute!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, cute post and squirrel photo! I have heard the squirrels fussing in my yard, usually asking for more food.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

KK said...

I have seen these in Punjab, Himachal, Harana, Rajasthan, Delhi and Mumbai. I wonder if we have Palm Squirrels everywhere in India other than the Himayalan regions.

Devilish Angel said...

Squirrels are always cute. I like watching squirrel eating food. Have u seen it?

Destination Infinity said...

I love squirrels. They are very fast, so I was never able to catch one! But it's OK, otherwise they'd be afraid :)

Destination Infinity

Ankita said...

i often see then scurrying in the garden, they are way too cute :)

betty-NZ said...

What a unique little creature!

Locomente said...

Squirrels are cute... I love the way they nibble... Thanks for sharing the pic!

L. D. said...

It looks exactly like our chipmunks over here but the tail of yours is so full and bushy while our chipmunk as a much smaller tail in the amount of hair.