Saturday, April 23, 2016

Crow Assignment and Dog Behavior

IMG_1026

I used to stroll around the home in the evenings in kind of getting breeze and one day I causally looked at the custard apple tree (pic above) in front of our house but outgrown from the neighbor's compound, and found a male crow breaking the sprigs of the tree by going on the withered or easily breakable. Early summer the leaves were all parted and now it looks as if it started to shoot again and there’s already couple of little custard apples hung around… the crow seemed patient in finding the right sprig that’s easily achievable and it didn’t few away with the sprigs but dropped each after the break up. Later it few away and I left wonder. I know birds collect sprigs/sticks only if they are building nest and so I was sure the crow should be nesting somewhere and all the break ups for that.

20160412_174111

What I really wonder was does the crow (or any bird species) built the nest at this time was because they know it is the season where trees withered to produce more sticks or it’s a coincident where nesting of birds and fall happens at same. I think in Tamil Nadu the fall season was between February-March.  During a visit to Topslip in mid Feb, I saw abundant of leaves filled across the forest and mountain pass and upon which I inquire to know it was the fall season there. Before I stop wondering, I was amused at the sight which followed. Where a female crow flew in collecting the sticks on the ground that was broke down by the male crow. As I went near the gate I find numbers of sticks were parted by him. I really loved the cooperation between them in building the nest and producing their offspring’s in fall season!

I think the male crow was very concern about building the nest and helping his partner, as I saw him other day on another tree with the same assignment.  The crow in the flight (picture above) wasn’t shot at pointing at the bird, but fell into image when taking some photos at Elliots beach.  

20160403_174417

Another interesting sight I got to watch outside the gate on the following days was, a stray dog munching on grasses! First I thought it was sniffing something but it was actually chewing on a patch of grass on the roadside. I have heard dogs eat grass, but ever seen one before. Our pet dog, Maya, used to eat raw vegetables like beans and carrot and not grasses like the one seen above.  Upon this, I browsed the net to know: that a dog eating grass is actually quite common and this form of pica is considered as normal dog behavior. And grass eating doesn’t usually lead to throwing up -- less than 25% of dogs that eat grass vomit regularly after grazing. Other suggested reasons why dogs might be eating grass include improving digestion, treating intestinal worms, or fulfilling some unmet nutritional need, including the need for fiber.

Linking this post for SaturdayCritters

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

my pups eat grass often - especially before it rains. i'm wondering if it settles their stomach in some way, too. sometimes they throw it up but often they don't.

the crow couple is really neat!

Bob Bushell said...

I love the bird floating in the air, wonderful.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeevan, great post and info on the crows. It seems like they found a lot of sticks for their nest. Cute doggie, my dogs ate grass once in a while. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

GreenComotion said...

Beautiful observations about the crow and the dog, Jeevan!
Your kind heart shows through your photographs and your research on why the animals did what they did.
Great photographs - I think that 'stray dog' is beautiful.
It is amazing how these guys survive, but people are kind and I believe someone feeds them, in addition to the food they dogs and birds get by scavenging.
Have a Happy Sunday!
Peace :)

Devilish Angel said...

Dogs eat grass sometimes to cure their indigestion. I have seen it...

Destination Infinity said...

I think dogs eating grass occasionally should be related to fiber or digestion. Animals just go by their instinct, only humans go to the doctor!

Destination Infinity

Sandhya said...

I too have heard that dogs and cats eat grass for indigestion.

The crow story is nice. I have seen them collecting twigs and placing them on tree branches to build nests. They do it systematically.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Our crazy poodle eats grass occasionally, I usually think it's when he is thirsty and trying to get the dew on the leaves, but now I know it could be for other reasons! Informative post, thankyou.
Wren

Twilight Man said...

Our mother nature is often wonderful to observe from the trees, plants and all the animals besides we human beings.
I understand that cats eat grass often so that they could vomit out all the hairballs. Dogs are like doctors which could heal themselves of certain pain and sickness which I am not sure what they are.

L. D. said...

Yep, sometimes they eat grass because it tastes good.

Indrani said...

Well expressed thoughts on the pics.
I too have seen dogs munching on grass.

Saurabh Chawla said...

Loved the crow's flying pic! Nice captures! Yes sometimes I have seen dogs munching on the grass to feed their hunger!