Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Idol Procession to Immerse

IMG_0302

After long time, went for an outing on Sunday traveling around the southern outskirt of Chennai taking some road less travelled. When nearing Medavakkam junction we come across rows of Ganesh procession, where the idols are transported in mini tucks to immerse in Palavakkam Beach. There are three places allotted in Chennai for the idols brought up from the places nearby Chennai to immerse and Palavakkam is allocated to the southern region. Few years back I used to go to the beach to watch the procession and immerse of idols, but this time it came across my way and while moving in traffic I got to capture some photos on the idols transported in trucks. Many of the idols were facing back while coming opposite and I managed to take some using the iPhone. 

IMG_0287
This idol is decorated by coins and rupees
IMG_0291
The procession passed very quite with few beating drums and sounds
IMG_0285
There was many walking with flags along the procession
Untitled-2
A small collage  on the procession

9 comments:

Destination Infinity said...

I want to go to the beach on the day this happens. Maybe next year... I love all the Ganeshas here :)

Destination Infinity

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! What a great glimpse into your culture, Jeevan. Those rich, bright colors are beautiful. I 'm glad you were able to capture some pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Enjoy the rest of your week!
Elsie

carol l mckenna said...

Fascinating colorful photos of Ganesh procession ~ great post for I ~ thanks,

(A ShutterBug Explores)

Lady Fi said...

Those statues are huge and so lovely!

Arti said...

Such wonderful Ganeshas, and I felt the vibe of the procession through your pictures. It looks pretty peaceful in contrast to all the music and noise that what we witness here in Mumbai. Great captures!

Rajesh said...

Great coverage of the concession procession.

Nancy Chan said...

The temples here too have processions like this one.

L. D. said...

You took a lot of good shots of the event. I bet you were glad you ventured out to see it.

Twilight Man said...

I think the Hindus here in my country don't have this rituals to immerse in the water. Maybe that's because we do not make these type of idol statues here. I will ask my Hindu friends next time about this interesting topic..