Saturday, April 21, 2018

Bird Watching and Red Whiskered Bulbul

Western Ghats is a great stretch of mountains, including valleys, dense forests and plantations of tea, coffee... according to the circumstance of height, soil and weather condition. It’s also home to innumerable species of trees, plants and shrubs and variety of birds and insects and wild animals. For the people of south and west coast of India, Western Ghats plays an important role as summer vacation with many parts of mountains or Ghats becomes a hill station where people visits when the plains turn hotter.

IMG_9396
The view from the balcony on the rear side of my uncle's  woodhouse

Kodaikanal is one of a blissful part of the Western Ghats, comes under the Palani hills range and it’s the only hill station where I have been to more than 10 times. Since my uncle built the woodhouse (Smokey Haven) in the lower Palani hills or to say as half Kodai, staying atop the mountains has become easy and for last couple of years we have been visiting the mountains twice a year. Nestled amid woods, natural vegetation and coffee plantation, the place provides lot of opportunity to bird watch and listening to distinct note of birds. I call it as bird paradise but birds most of all smaller in size are difficult to find out but I try my best to capture birds every time I visit there.

IMG_9385

Though there are number of birds in the vicinity of woods, adjoining the woodhouse, some birds are frequently spotted or to be a residential birds of woods. I have spotted even migratory birds flying all the way from Himalayas, which are difficult to believe looking at their tiny size. The bulbuls, magpie robins, eagles, woodpeckers are commonly found there but for me who sees once or twice a year turned to be surprise and blissful to watch and shoot. During my visit in December, it was raining and full of fog and mist but it didn’t stop me looking for birds and the Red Whiskered Bulbul was the one I able to shoot as it came perching the wire outside the woodhouse, despite light showering.

IMG_9386

Linking this post with SATURDAY CRITTERS

9 comments:

Betty J. Crow said...

Beautiful nature scene. Interesting bird. Nice capture!

carol l mckenna said...

ooh ! awesome photos of a beautiful 'feathered friend' ~

Happy Weekend,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a beautiful bird. Great sighting of this Red Whiskered Bulbul.
The habitat and forest looks wonderful too. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Thanks also for the comment on my post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Nancy Chan said...

A beautiful place to visit and to enjoy the beauty of nature.

Gosia said...

your nature is so different from Europe

Anonymous said...

What a magnificent bird! He looks like he is surveying the land. Great picture Jeevan. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Elsie

L. D. said...

I have not ever seen this kind bird before now. It is beautiful.

Lady Fi said...

Wow - so gorgeous!

Twilight Man said...

Those birds you shared looked awesome and unique. We don't have such this pretty birds here.

I am beginning to like watching birds too. Every morning I could see the white heron birds outside my bedroom window which overlooks a river and small jungle. They probably flew in seasonal migration from China and Japan.