Saturday, January 26, 2019

Checkpost - 1

Check post is a series I have started (at a blink of thought while reading Hot Tea) where I would like to share moments related to check posts that I have come across during my travel. I could remember some check posts that went smooth with the guards permitting, giving tips on the route and encouraging kind of guards and some are stubborn to stern to warn us to turn back and it’s not the check posts actually but the location and places we like to venture makes it possible or not. There are check posts on every border of states, districts, and restricted areas like forests and dams and the foothills to prevent illegal activities and preserve nature and environments. Check posts really plays significant roles in controlling smuggling, verifying vehicle documents for right registration and makes sure a secure travel.


I remember my first encounter with a check post was in 1997, a barrier belong to Tamil Nadu forest department held us for some time when we try to visit Hogenakkal Falls in Dharmapuri district. We just drove from Mysore, after our visits to Ooty and Mysore; it was almost night or around 8 when our car (Maruti 800) was stopped by the forest department denying permission to allow us into Hogenakkal which is located inside the forest. Unlike today, it wasn’t a greatly popular tourist place with plenty of lodging and restaurants then, so the movement of vehicles are less and no vehicle is allowed after 6 pm to visit the falls at the bank of Cauvery. It was pitched dark around us except a bulb light from the check post, and a silent noise of forest surrounds us while my dad and uncle was convincing the guards to permit us as we had no other option or idea to return. The guards came down after sometime and we were in chaos sitting inside the car and a mild fear of forest as we couldn’t see even what is near us. We drove past the Ghats section with a small terror after getting permission and we stopped at the Tamilnadu tourism hotel, for a night stay and visited the falls next day morning.

Actually there were 8 members in the hatchback and I was 12 then and my brother was 3 years younger to me and my cousin was 2 years. Sometimes I sit in the front seat adjusting with my maternal uncle and other two take the laps of our parents throughout our journey and the trip was entirely memorable and I could recollect the moments still.

7 comments:

Sandi said...

I would not like the forest either! I wonder if the guards kept you safe. Maybe they did?

Lady Fi said...

Fun memories.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I assume the check post is necessary and for safety. The visit to the hotel and falls sounds great. I hope you took photo of the falls. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

carol l mckenna said...

Hmm ~ check points sound rather confining for traveling ~ wonder if you had to sleep in the car or what you did next once you were stopped in your journey?

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bill said...

Security checkpoints can be a pain sometimes too especially if the guard is a jerk. Hope you got to enjoy seeing the falls.
Have a nice rest of the day.

Nancy Chan said...

I never like to travel at night especially to unfamiliar places. Sometimes, the guards can be very stern at check points probably it is their duty to guard the place for everyone's safety.

George said...

That was certainly an unforgettable experience. I hope not all of your check point experiences are like that.