Monday, October 05, 2020

Sunday tale – a trip to Mamallapuram

I got an opportunity or I agreed to take a short distance ride on Sunday, after so long days of not coming out of home – for nearly seven months I held myself inside the home, other than looking out from the balcony. Glad we moved here, to our native house, a year and a half early to the pandemic starts so I have this benefit of watching from the balcony what is not possible in our previous house in backstreet with least activities on road. Lockdown days were quiet and pleasant here, but the relaxations lately made it very noisy. Back to Sunday, we accompanied our extended family for a temple visit in our ancestral town Mamallapuram, as per our family tradition, visiting this goddess temple has been made mandatory when a marriage is fixed.

The busy ECR on Sunday in the shadow of trees. This is part of road beyond Mamallapuram towards Pondicherry.

Yes, my brother’s engagement is fixed at the end of this month and so was this visit. I’m not a believer in god exist but I still accompany my family to temples as long it takes me out or traveling. We hit the east coast road (ECR) early morning but the ride wasn’t fun and comforting as well, as I had to wear a mask all the time even though I pull down to chin often it lacks freeness. I now understand how difficult it must be for those who go to work, wearing the mask all the time and while I couldn’t sit freely, I wonder how tough it is to do tasks with masks!

I couldn’t see any great changes on ECR other than closed amusement parks and tourism and entertaining hubs but the traffic was unusual for the time 6.30 in morning. I saw many cycle riders on the ECR, enjoying the cool morning weather, while quietly pedalling on the left side of the road unlike a lot on motorbikes vrooming and terrifying the other bike/car riders. We extended our ride another 25km from Mamallapuram to visit another family deity temple. Due to the pandemic and lockdown the government has restricted any rituals, so my family simply visited and worshiped the deities in the temples.   

One of the temple is located amid palm trees and farm lands, a km away from ECR main road

I sat in our SUV quite after a year gap, because only last October we left the car for interior tinkering and painting which was delivered only a week early to lockdown in March so I didn’t had any chance to travel or sit in the car. My trip to Amirthi Zoological Park (Vellore) in February happened in my uncle’s car and it’s the only trip I had this year where I drove for a 150 kms. My travel to Mamallapuram on Sunday was a half day trip and our breakfast was brought from a relative’s house there and we returned home by noon for lunch. It was good to travel even it was for a short distance of 70 km but for a travel enthusiastic this gives a bit joy and I hope the pandemic is over soon so that I travel every length.

11 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

So glad you were able to have a short road trip ~ good to get out of the house ~ I agree the masks are not very comfortable but like anything I suppose you get used them ~ glad I don't have to wear one too often or daily ~ Lots of blessings despite the Covid~ Lovely photos ~ thanks ^_^

Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Tom said...

...the world would be a sad place without trees!

Bill said...

It probably felt great to be out and about. Must have been tough wearing a mask, I find it hard when I go grocery shopping. As soon as I am outside, I take it off so I can get some fresh air. Have a wonderful day and stay safe!

Sandi said...

The trees are so tall! They must be a hundred years old.

ashok said...

Good trip

Destination Infinity said...

Great to know u have started traveling. We have started riding - on a flyover behind our house, 5-8 KM. It's difficult to stay inside the house all the time!

Destination Infinity

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

A road trip is great, especially during these Covid times. A change of scenery is great. I love the views of the road and trees. Take care, enjoy your day!

George said...

I'm happy that you were able to get out even if it was only for a short time.

Anita said...

Iam glad you went out for å trip!You can live long on it

Btw very nice photoes!Ilove those palms!

And all things from your place :)

Sorry Iam late but I work very much right now.Yes covid work

Stay happy and be brave and safe

Anita

L. D. said...

I like the view your have as you drive down the road. Your trees are different than ours. You are tropical.

Twilight Man said...

I am a religious and spiritual person since young. I hope that you will have faiths in Hinduism as they are all real and I could feel them.