click me for details or click the Title
A massive earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale rocked North India, Pakistan and Afghanistan today. The epicenter of the quake was in west Muzaffarabad in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. Scores of people have been killed in this strong earthquake that struck Pakistan, north India and Afghanistan today.
The quake, was recorded at 9.20 am (IST), was felt in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana, Rajasthan, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttaranchal, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh.
In this earthquake 19-story building was collapsed in Pakistan's capital, Islamabad. Rescuers are trying to reach dozens of residents feared trapped in that. In this at least 100 people have been killed spokesperson said.
At least 39 people, including 15 soldiers, have been confirmed dead in Indian-administered Kashmir. Pakistan's Geo television channel said it had reports of 25 people killed in Pakistan-administered Kashmir.
In other reports around the region:
· Indian defence officials told the Press Trust of India there was "massive destruction" in Uri, close to the Line of Control that separates divided Kashmir. "Initial reports are that not many houses are standing."
· The 200-year-old Moti Mahal fort in Poonch district, Indian-administered Kashmir, has collapsed.
· A meeting attended by India's premier, Manmohan Singh, in the northern city of Chandigarh was stopped after his bodyguards ordered an immediate evacuation following the tremors.
· Haikal Shah Falah, a government employee in Jalalabad, eastern Afghanistan, said: "We've reports that two children were killed, one in Charbag and one in Chapliyar districts."
· One child was killed and six injured in a school collapse in Rawalpindi, Pakistan's information minister said.