Saturday, February 26, 2022

Black Drongo

Following Kumizhi, we visited another lake about 10 km from there. On the way to the lake, we took a tea break, and while waiting for the tea at a teashop, I spotted a Black Drongo lepping here and there on a plant. 

Sadly, due to the limitations of my camera, I was unable to capture a clearer image.

My Canon Powershot suffers from blackness around the screen, leaving only a small viewer point-like zone to focus on the image. Taking this one-shot comes only after a lot of effort.

I need to service my camera, but I took it with me on my trip to Yelagiri last week, my first trip in three years. 

One intriguing fact I learned about this small Asian passerine bird belonging to the drongo family is that it is notorious for its aggressive behavior toward much larger birds, such as crows, and will dive-bomb any bird of prey that enters its territory. This behavior has earned it the nickname "king crow." 

12 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The main thing is getting to see something so amazing! Nice to get a photo to share too but the sighting is the biggest thrill!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The Drongo is an interesting bird, great sighting. I like your photo.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

Twilight Man said...

Thanks for sharing about this unique King of Crows. I don't think I have seen this bird before.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeevan, It was a happy sighting! The Drongo is a bird I will never see, but I admire it's courage.

Tom said...

...it has a lovely, long tail!

Rose said...

I want to look this bird up...it looks to have such long tail feathers. It is quite the handsome fellow.

carol l mckenna said...

The black drongo is an impressive bird ~ despite the camera ~ good job ~ namaste ~

Wishing you lots of love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

L. D. said...

It is a new bird for me to see. Thanks for sharing.

George said...

This bird is very interesting. You got a good picture even if your camera does need servicing.

Bill said...

What a great sighting and photo. I've never seen this bird before.

Nancy Chan said...

Even though it was not a very clear picture, I can see that it has a beautiful long tail. Admire it for its courage and rightfully named King Crow.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeevan,

Your trip sounds wonderful. The Drongo is an interesting name for a bird, it is pretty. Great sighting. Take care, enjoy your day!