Thursday, January 19, 2023

Pongal 2023 with Nephews

The Pongal festival weekend went well; however, we couldn't celebrate it in our traditional way of cooking Pongal on a firewood stove. Though mom cooked sweet Pongal in an earthen pot on the gas stove, the taste was not as expected. 

A couple of years ago, we celebrated the Pongal in the traditional style of cooking Pongal, outside the home, on the balcony, or courtyard of the former house on the ground floor, which gives a sense of appreciation for nature that provides us with life. As of now, the festival passes without leaving any special feeling; perhaps we are shifting gears to perceive it as another day.

Unlike earlier, there weren't any programs on television that were interesting or watchable. All television channels rely on serial artists to create all programs, which can only be enjoyed by viewers who follow their serials; fortunately, no one at home watches serials, so I don't have to deal with these tortures. Thankfully, OTTs and YouTube were available for entertainment; I have subscribed to several YouTube channels, but the reality is that I don't have the time to watch them all, and they are either endless or unending. 

In my perspective, the best part of this year's Pongal festival was my nephews. Jeswanth and Kavin, the sons of my cousin's sister and my younger brother, with a nearly six-month difference in age, are doing their sums (troublesome) well. If they both came together, they would turn the house upside down, but at the same time, they would both show their tenderness and innocence, making our time together pleasurable and memorable. 

Kavin
Jeswanth

My cousin's sister is caring for her maternally ill grandma, who is in the hospital, and she has left her child with her parents, who are my uncle and aunt and reside next door. You don't need further details for him to enter our home once their door is open. For Pongal, we dressed the kids in traditional dothi and shirt outfits, which made them much adorable, and they each came up with a prayer bell to ring while worshipping the sun. 

If you forgot, Pongal is our harvest festival and thanksgiving day to all that nature and farmers have given us to survive, and the sun is worshipped on this day as the most important of all-natural elements. I understand that the kids have no clue about this or any other topic till they reach a certain age, but teaching them when they are young to be humble and rational about things will undoubtedly help them sustain and advance in the future. The images of my nephews in this post are from Pongal, and I hope you enjoy them.


8 comments:

baili said...

Such a lovely sharing!

I really enjoyed reading this post. Every phrase said so simply and simplicity is purest form of beauty :)

I don't know literal meaning of word Pongal but I will ask Google surly. Seems like me you and your family misses the olden days when such festivals had cultural value and social beauty. No one can stop the changes written by the destiny so I agree that we as individuals should try to make peace with them because without so it is hard to have peace of mind.
I sm when you mentioned you nephews. The reminded me my nieces and nephews who upside-down the house in no time. Your nephews look dynamically cute in traditional dressing.
Health peace and happiness to you and your family

ashok said...

Both kids are so adorable. Love their veshti and shiny shirts :) happy pongal

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeevan :=) I hope you are well. I have spent today visiting my blog friends, especially those who left lovely well wishing comments. Thank you so much for your's Jeevan, which was very much appreciated.

Your harvest festival or POngal is also a tradition in Portugal, but we dress the church altar with bread and fruit, to show we are grateful for the earths bounty. Your nephews are handsome boys, and they look cute in their traditional attire.

I never watch Series on TV. In fact I never watch TV. My son downloads films and nature programs for me which I see on the TV screen to see during the evening, when I feel most lonely. Like that I watch what I like, and it's company for me.

All the best.

carol l mckenna said...

your little nephews are so handsome and adorable ~ Happy Pongal ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

George said...

Your nephews are adorable, as are the photos.

Bill said...

Your nephews look very smart in their nice crisp clothes.

Terra said...

Your nephews are very cute and look like they are enjoying the celebration and all the good food. Times to bring family together are always special.

Tom said...

...cute little kids!