Saturday, May 28, 2016

Me and MRI

I never thought or imagined an MRI (scan) could be such torture!  I took an MRI for the whole spine yesterday to study the course of my scoliosis and to clarify the discomfort I am going through in the lower abdomen, for last few days. I have taken CT scans earlier and I was thinking MRI would be similar to it, and could be taken in few minutes, but the first dismay came when I learn that no wheelchair or stretcher is allowed inside the scanner room. The MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) machine seems to have a gravity to pull metal things and so I have to leave the wheelchair outside and my brother lifted me and lay on the scanner. Unexpectedly a coin from his pocket was pulled into the machine and only then I understand the magnetic attraction the machine holds. 

Before they put into the machine made sure that no metal is attached to the body and also no polyester is worn. They cover the face with a mask like thing and the head was tightly tapped to the sides to prevent moment. I could manage these things and lying for 45 minutes and motionless isn’t that stressful but the sounds that raises from the machine make me tensed.  The machine develops different constant beats that enough to create headaches to feel terrific. I just want to shout to stop these and discontinue the exam, but tried to be patient and bring peace of mind. I closed my eyes almost the scanning period perhaps to keep away my scare and being tensed. Glad there wasn’t anything difficult at breathe and mom sitting at a corner of the room gives me little comfort, though any moment is banned inside the rooms during the process.

Out of my control, I was praying for the moment to come to an end.  It was pretty cool inside the room and I was trying not to shiver and it was great sigh of relief when I hear the door was opened and pulling out of the machine my first question at the diagnostic person was is it finished? The technology has developed a lot and I wonder why anyone didn’t find a way to keep away the terrific resounding of this MRI.  I felt like I would never go for an MRI again but I should be glad that I unaware about this process until experienced myself to keep away the pre-tense. Except few remarks on scoliosis and lordosis the report has comes out almost normal! Looking forward to check with the doctor tonight and I am feeling slightly pain in the abdomen lately, hope all is well soon.  

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i have never had an mri myself, but know folks who have. you did well to make it through. i hope the results are good ones.

Sandhya said...

You will be better, Jeevan. Take care. Yes, MRI is scary.

Destination Infinity said...

I read this first on FB and was surprised to know that the MRI procedure is so long! Anyway glad to know that the results are fine.

Destination Infinity

Devilish Angel said...

Take care Jeevan...

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I feel your pain.. When I hurt my knee, the pain was horrible. They sent me for an MRI... I had to lie there (STILL) with my leg straightened out for the LONGEST time... The pain was horrendous... I made it --but not without a whole bunch of TEARS.... (Not sure I've ever had pain like that before).... NOT FUN.

So sorry you had to go through that also...

Hugs,
Betsy

Twilight Man said...

You are really brave and succeeded to getting the MRI done, though with much difficulty. I could imagine your tensed moments there.

I have heard of many people who could not endure the scary part when their body would be slowly moved into the scanner which comes to close to their faces & bodies like being inserted into a fitting capsule. My own brother freaked out and they had to stop halfway. Another best friend who actually sells hospital equipment, himself could not endure it when a doctor let him have a trial tests using it. He also had to stop half way. I was told that a patient could ask for some injection to sedate or make them sleep for 2-3 minutes to go through the MRI.

Rajesh said...

I understand your discomfort as I myself undergone MRI scanning for slip disk. But good part is that result answers the most of the unanswered questions earlier.

Anonymous said...

I can relate, Jeevan. I've had them done several times for my migraines. I try to meditate while I'm in there.

Indrani said...

You will soon be okay Jeevan, all the best!

GreenComotion said...

Feel better soon, dear Jeevan.
Sending you positive vibes, so you may feel better.
Peace :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I have had family members that have had MRIs and they said it was not a bad experience. Please let us know how it goes, Jeevan!

Locomente said...

Please take care of yourself :)