Tuesday, March 13, 2018

An Upgrade to Real Home Theater System

I already have a DVD home theater system bought in 2011 and it’s still continue to sound good and I watch movies connected to surround sound but lately I feel it wasn’t effective or I was in need of more effect and moreover the system isn’t reading the latest video formats and I need to convert the files or play through the television port to bring the digital out and then convert it into analog and play the sound though the home theatre. I always like listening to quality content and used to buy original audio cassettes and CDs when the albums of my favourite artist release and it continued till 2010 – Enthiran was my last purchase from the shop. I slowly converted to download songs from internet and later movies, but I still maintain my policy of not downloading or watching new movies rather than in theatre and watch movies at least 100 days after the release.

I was looking for a better opportunity to upgrade my listening and lately started to dream of buying an advanced music and home theatre system and while I was into research the Amazon.in came up with offers and 10% discount encouraged me to go ahead. I really don’t want another home theatre with a playable disk which has any other option of connecting. Technology keeps advancing and I can’t keep changing the home theatres accordingly and keeping it in mind I convince myself for an AV receiver with multiple inputs and UHD out though single HDMI. AV receivers are priced high even without speakers, and the basic system is not less than Rs.25,000 and I opted for Okayo or Sony as I got good reviews about them.

 I was in idea of using the old home theatre speakers with the AV receiver, although I was in doubt I went for a powerful system with more than 100 watts per channel, keeping in mind the future setting of big screen home theatre. After a lot of conflicts within, I was in conclude of not missing the advantages of Sony which is bit better than Okayo. Though both uses the Bluetooth technology to fully operate from smartphone, the NFC and few more technology, want me to go for Sony receiver which specifically is made for iPhone and iPods connectivity. I was really amazed at how it operates through iPhone and I could listen to any song from live stream or internet. As I planned I cannot connect the satellite speakers of old home theatre and was forced to buy new speakers.



The Sony STR-DH770 is a 7.2 channel receiver and I have connected just 2 channel bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer from previous home theatre, simply rocks.  I can’t describe the feel it produces even from just 2 Ch. Speakers; I can’t image how it would sound from 5.1 Ch., the basic setting of home theatre. The receiver has given me an opportunity to relive and enjoy listening to my favourite music/songs again through this enhanced AV receiver and I love the details it reproduces via Boston speakers, which cost me Rs.10,000 a pair and I’m in need of 3 more speakers. I really loved listening to old songs than the new ones and I can’t say how amazing it feels and each song sounds alike listening for first time.


Perhaps it’s the reason for my slow blogging as I can’t stop listening or watching movie from the time connected, I trying listening to many songs and genre. The actual price of the STR-DH770 including import fee and delivery charges is Rs.41,000 but amazon offered me at Rs.27,000  along with 10% discount. This receiver is not sold in India and amazon imports it from USA and it can’t be directly plugged into the Indian socket but need a 220 to 110 volt step-down converter to give power to the receiver which is at 120 volt. I also found the receiver to be damaged at a corner for which they refunded Rs.6, 660 after I sent mail to amazon with pictures of damaged part. And in this way we save the amount and I’m quite content with the outcome which I’m expecting to improve as I use it fully.

18 comments:

Lady Fi said...

Enjoy!

carol l mckenna said...

Your post is very tech informative ~ very knowledgeable ~ way beyond my know how ~ but thanks for info ~ and also for visiting my blog and leaving lovely comments ~

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

ps We are having a major snow storm ~ blizzard, in fact, snowbound!

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Very nice. Enjoy your new toy. Would you be able to get the damaged part replaced?

Jeevan said...

Rakesh - It doesn’t need a replace as it is only bodily damaged at a corner. I actually had doubt that the damage would have caused anything inside and thought of returning the receiver, but after checking with a friendly electronic technician that it’s a minor damaged, I accepted their damage refund.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just want to offer you a big thumbs up for the excellent information you
have right here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Destination Infinity said...

Amazing. I love sound but have not invested anything for better sound other than my old Alltec Lansing speakers which are still going great. Should consider something like this for the future. BTW, how is warranty handled for such international imported products?

Destination Infinity

Jeevan said...

DI - It comes with 1 year manufacturer's warranty, so I hope any Sony authorised service centres will take this into account. But the system is excellent and also reliable to get fault that soon..

Christine said...

That's a very impressive system! So glad you are enjoying it!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, looks like you have a great system for watching movies. I have been reading more books lately than watching the TV. Thanks for sharing the information. Have a happy day!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new system. I'm glad the damage wasn't too bad and only affected the body, not the performance. I'm sure you're enjoying it!!

Elsie

Uppal said...

All the best for your efforts!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeevan,:) I like watching films and listening to music too, and can appreciate your excitement in being able to get better reception in sound and image. I was smiling all the way through your post at your enthusiasm, and am so pleased that you are getting so much enjoyment out of your new toy. Kudos to Amazon, for the refund you received. If I don't hear from you for a while, I'll know why, he he!!:=)

Twilight Man said...

You just woke me up that I should be getting better sound system for my TV. That would add excitement like cinemas.

GreenComotion said...

A nice music system is always a lot of fun!
Enjoy your new toy, Jeevan.
Have a Happy Day!
Peace :)

L. D. said...

I have that very same sound system in your top photo. I was messing with speakers just yesterday and found out one of my speakers must have quit. I would like to buy all new someday including the surround sound system. I could use you as a neighbor if you were closer to help figure it all out. You know your business with sound systems.

Cinepanda said...

Very nice blog. Thanks for sharing good informative content.
Home theatre in Kerala
Home theatre speakers in Kerala
Home Theatre Installation in Kerala
PA System in Kerala
Home Theatre System in Kerala
PA System Speakers in Kerala

Cinepanda said...

Very nice blog. Thanks for sharing good informative content.
Home Theatre System in Kerala

Arslan Kulachi said...

Thanks for sharing such informative content. I would like to tell you about my blog home theatre power manager