Tuesday, November 02, 2021

Time to Light - Deepavali

The thought of just a day left for Deepavali brings excitement within. Though the weather wasn't that favorable to celebrate Deepavali - the festival of lights and fireworks - as it kept raining for the last few days and a warning from meteorology that there could be rains across the day of Deepavali. The covid has its share already in defusing the light of Deepavali; the supreme court's guidance has gripped the firework sale, but at masses, these don't matter when purchasing things and celebrating the festival. 

I love rain, and it must keep away drought, but never during the festivals, especially Deepavali. 

I hung rice led serial in our living room for Deepavali 

I see a general feeling of excitement of Deepavali is missing among the people; perhaps their lifestyle changes and influence of gadgets has kept their interest away from the festivals and celebrations. I have fond memories of Deepavali, the most anticipated days of our life - from childhood till now - an inexplicable feeling embraces. Since I grow up lighting fireworks, it has become an inseparable thing during Deepavali, and every year, I buy some fireworks as I enjoy the same. 

During childhood days, we begin celebrating Deepavali a month early to the festival. We buy crackers loosely from the nearby petty shop and burst one by one during the weekends. I recollect how joyful the days are then - with our neighborhood friends, we go for cracker hunting on the day of Deepavali, picking up the unburst crackers on the road to burst. Roaming the street is my favorite pass time, then, and it's fun as we keep talking and walking around the streets in our area.

I miss so many things right away, and when I think back, I feel the pleasure and pain equally. Not only that I miss those days, but I also couldn't make up with the contemporary world, even for the smallest desires and right to be human. Though I buy a variety of fireworks, what I could light was only a sparkler. My world is little with endless vision and works to do, but being a dependent, I could not achieve anything without aid from anyone. 

Hope you all have a Happy and Safe Deepavali! 

10 comments:

Destination Infinity said...

I think that excitement level also depends on age. Young people might still anticipate and enjoy Deepavali like how we once did.

Destination Infinity

carol l mckenna said...

Happy Deepavali ~ your fond memories show in your writing and photo ~ I love the lights of any holiday ~ not so much the firecrackers(can be dangerous) ~ Well wishes to you and family now and each day ~ namaste Xo

Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nux V said...

Happy Deepavali to you and family! i'm afraid of firecrackers and the sound of it.

Bill said...

Deepavali sounds like a fun and celebrating time. Your memories of the previous celebrations brings the joy you experienced back to life. Enjoy the rest of the week, my friend.

Nancy Chan said...

Happy Deepavali to you and family. This year the sound of firecrackers could be heard the whole of yesterday night compared to last year which was very quiet. This year many families can gather to celebrate this festival together.

George said...

I hope your holiday festival will be as happy and joyous as the ones you remember from days gone by.

ashok said...

Hope you had a wonderful festival of lights Jeevan ...தீபாவளி வாழ்த்துகள்!

Kirtivasan Ganesan said...

We had a fine Diwali here in Ranchi. We at home took bath early in the morning and prayed. But otherwise people do Pooja and illuminate in homes in the evening, here.

Rose said...

Although I am not as limited in what I do as you, I cannot do a lot of things I used to do with ease..and like you i have fond memories but also sort of sad since I can no longer accomplish the same things

Twilight Man said...

Happy Deepavali Jeevan. I pray that you will always be cared for by all the kind hearted people around you.