Sunday, October 07, 2018

Ganesh Chaturthi Post and Use of Camera

Post mom’s surgery I haven’t gone anywhere and while she healed well, began the renovation work at home keeps me away from traveling or even head out for the nearest beach.  Our car went for service at my uncle’s workshop; taking more than 2 months for a complete checkout, was also a reason prevents me going out. I also haven’t used my camera much these days, since I started to use iPhone taking photos using camera has come down, though I love capturing through camera and enjoy focusing which I don’t content with phone camera. After my travel in March to Kodaikanal, I seldom took out the camera for shoot and only last month I tried to capture some nice photos on the idol of Ganesh that bought for Ganesh Chaturthi. At night I focused on the Ganesh procession that came on our street, from the temple on same. But there too iPhone took prior! Following are photos shot on Ganesh Chaturthi.

IMG_1229 IMG_1232

Here come the clay idol of Ganesh that dad bought for the Ganesh Chaturthi, from the temporary shops that come up along the main road during the festival times. Though being an atheist, I do like anything that comes up beautiful and decorative and moreover I don’t want to keep away or deny what’s happening around me although my belief is different. For last few years the idols bought doesn’t had a real shape of Ganesh or features to be consider except the two eyes in red black seeds. But this year the seeds are missing and the Ganesh had his face painted in watercolors to look pretty good and shape was also fine. Later he was decorated by mom using flowers and jewels.

IMG_6592 IMG_6593

Following same evening the clay idol was dissolved in a bucket of water, a custom we have been practicing for last 10 years back, instead dropping at river or sea what we had done earlier and many still follows. I really don’t like idols immersed at beaches or any water body to pollute it environment. I love beaches and never want to see its beauty being spoiled and the number of idols, either made of clay or plaster of parries or whatever materiel damaging the beach or river front. I have seen many clay idols of Ganesh are thrown along the beach sand rather drop at sea, take lot of time and work to clear all. Keep this in mind, I suggest my parents to follow this way (of dissolving the idol in a bucket of water) and use the water for gardening, perhaps this won’t interrupt their faith.

IMG_1241

The same night, a cart procession takes place at our street from the Ganesh temple, at the street end, and the decorated idol was pulled around the streets where people come out of their house and offer prayers. When the procession comes across our home I tried to capture some photos between the interruption of people and the result was above. There are two Ganesh temples in our area, but this time only one has come up with procession and they really done a nice decoration where the Ganesh was seated on a mice idol (his divine vehicle) with gold coated rope and whip in hands. The picture below was shot by mom from the front of the procession where Ganesh seen seated on mice chariot, and in another shot was the priest sitting on the cart doing pooja.  

Procession from Ganesh Chaturthi IMG_1237

10 comments:

Destination Infinity said...

Both decorations are nice :)

Destination Infinity

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely photos providing much pictorial information about Ganesh ~ and wonderfully informative post ~ Do hope you are getting out more now. Although, you sound like you are more effective than many people even when you don't get out of the house. Always enjoy your posts and comments and photos!

Happy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores

George said...

Thanks for the information and beautiful pictures of this festival. Hopefully things will settle down for you and your family and you can get out more often. I find that I take more and more pictures with my iPhone these days.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi, How interesting... I love reading about your customs and culture... SO interesting.....I do like your idea of immersing the clay idol in a bucket of water rather than adding it to a beach or river front.... Good Idea...

My blog post today talks about using my iPhone for night pictures when we were observing the glass sculptures at Biltmore Estate recently... The iPhone works better than our Canons do ... Amazing how good those cameras are in our phones these days.

Hugs,
Betsy

Karen Lakis said...

The colors and figures in your photos bring life to the scenes. I very much enjoyed this post and learned a little more about some of the traditions of your family. It is interesting to me how different religions and cultures celebrate.

Lady Fi said...

Wow - fabulous photos! Hope your mum is now feeling better.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the information and photos On the Ganash. The decorations are beautiful. Traditions are important. I hope your Mother is feeling better. The renovations seem like they should be done. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Bill said...

I enjoy looking at your photos of this festival and reading about it. I hope things will continue to improve for you and you can go out more. Lots of people use their phones now to take images. I don't have a smart phone so I still like to use my camera. From what hear, iphones take really good photos. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Nancy Chan said...

I no longer use a camera because I find using my mobile camera phone very convenient.

ashok said...

lovely colors!