Thursday, May 27, 2021

Got vaccinated with Covishield (AstraZeneca)

I got vaccinated, 1st dose, today from the Urban community health center at a walkable distance from home.  Vaccination started in India in January, and the first preference was given to frontline workers and later to those above 45 years; from May 1st, vaccination open to everyone above 18. But, they couldn't begin as announced due to a lack of vaccination, and in our state of Tamil Nadu, it started only last week with special priority to differently challenged.

There are three different vaccines available in India - Oxford-AstraZeneca's Covishield, India's Covaxin, and Russia's Sputnik-V - and I took Covishield, which is the only available vaccine now despite what I was about to take in case of. My dad and mom had already completed the course of two doses of vaccine two weeks before mine. They took the 2nd dose 6 weeks later, following their 1st dosage. For me, they have given 90 days or 14 weeks to take the 2nd dose.

The ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) has extended the duration between the 1st and 2nd dose of vaccine from 45 to 90 days for Covishield. I don't know about the other two vaccines. I registered online on May 1st itself, and till now, every time I open the page of registration, it shows available for the 45+ only. So, rejecting it, we went directly to the vaccination center as it had already announced that differently challenged are an exception of all, and they are true to their words.

Less than a km from home, I reached the vaccination center riding my power wheelchair, and we had to wait for only 10 to 15 minutes that too because of some issue going between the staff and some public. Actually, they issued tokens to the people to take the vaccine, and they all seated maintaining a distance, and suddenly the staffs announced stopping of vaccination, and people erupt. After some argument, they were allowed to vaccinate, but some went off already.



By the time they vaccinated me, Republic Tv was covering the vaccination and after seeing me in the wheelchair, they inquired me about shooting while I was vaccinated. I accepted immediately as they said it could be awareness for people who refused to believe or were scared of vaccines. While moving out after waiting for 10 minutes on the premises, as advised by them to see I feel any discomfort, they interviewed me (click here for the video link on YouTube) with few questions related to my experience with vaccination.

I'm feeling normal until writing down this, and no pain on the arms too, but I don't know what kind of reaction it stored for me further tonight or tomorrow. I'm quite confident that my body accepts the vaccine and works better to prevent Covid and lessen the effects of anything that comes against it. The doctors who were around me when vaccinated encouraged me to eat well and be confident. And don't go anywhere until taking the 2nd dose, without fail.

13 comments:

Twilight Man said...

Good to hear that. Your parents and you are safe now.

Anita said...

hipp hipp hurray at last..iam so glad for you jeevan..it will be allright..now you can have that big smile xxx

Tom said...

...GREAT news!!!

George said...

I'm happy to hear that you've gotten your first shot of Covid vaccine. I hope you have no problems from the shot, and that your second shot will go as well as our second shot went.

Destination Infinity said...

Good to read that u got vaccinated.

Destination Infinity

carol l mckenna said...

Glad to hear you had no major reaction to the vaccine and that session went well ~ Xo

Living moment by moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bill said...

That's great news to read, Jeevan. I got the AstraZeneca jab too about 4 weeks ago and still have to wait 8 weeks for the second jab. I'm happy for you, have a wonderful weekend!

RUTH FASHION DIARY said...

So good to read you got vaccinated and everything is okay so far. Have a wonderful weekend Jeevan.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeevan,
It is great that you were able to get the vaccine.
I had my second shot only after 28 days from the first shot.
I hope you stay well, have not reactions to the shot.
Take care, stay well!
Have a great new week!

Nancy Chan said...

Good to know that your parents and you have taken the vaccine. Hope everything is normal. Hope for the same smooth procedure for your 2nd dose too. Take care and stay safe.

ashok said...

Good to hear Jeevan..Stay safe!

Shilpa said...

Good to hear . I am yet to get it

Krishna (കൃഷ്ണ) said...

Here in Kerala vaccination slots are opened for one or two days started from 3pm every day. But the slots fully booked with less than a minute. So every day we want to check cowin site. Glad to hear your first dose vaccination completed.

Thanks for sharing your experience