Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Covid Continuation and Personal Touch!

Covid hasn't changed its face in India and continues to storm ever stronger. Our state Tamil Nadu is increasing with cases at a range of 1000 per day. Since the assembly election results on Sunday, the yet to form new government has tightened the restrictions to an almost state of lockdown, leaving open the essential shops and limited public transportation. Whatever the government, without people's cooperation, nothing going to work out, but I could see a positive response, or accepting tendency from people, perhaps they continue to see the fierceness of covid 19 on every platform they roam and from their own circle of people. 

Last week one of our family friends died of corona. He's a barber, as well as an artist, who plays the traditional musical instrument Nadaswaram. He has played at all our family festivals, and everyone in our family circle knows him, and he's the only one who had cut my hair from childhood and trim beards once I started to grow. Since the early 90s, he owns a barbershop under the house of our grandpa's, and he succeeds the shop from his father as he becomes old and passed away later. So, until I was able to walk, I cut hair from his shop whenever I visit grandpa's house, and we never paid him, and he used to debit the amount from the rent.

It really saddens all of us, and we couldn't believe he's no more, and before the news become certain, I truly wished it shouldn't be him. I know he's somewhat indifferent wearing the mask, so I stopped calling him lately since the beginning of 2nd wave of covid, and I think now that I made the right decision. We couldn't share our condolences with their family or attend the funeral due to the covid. I wish he rested in peace.

One of my uncles and my mom’s cousin is admitted to hospital for nearly 10 days due to the covid infection, and he has been kept on oxygen. But his condition is far better from the day of admitted, and once his oxygen level becomes stable, he would perhaps be discharged. I have seen the indifference in wearing masks at both the persons I have mentioned above, and their conditions have certain created an impact on others, the importance, and need of wearing the mask.                

I think the people's anticipated price to realize the significance of covid seems so high. The consciousness is something I guess hasn't been obtained well by anyone, including some well-educated to realize what happens around them; forgetfulness is something natural, but how come one forget easily the terrific scenario taking place all over the world. Over a year, shouldn't we have learned to live with the mask? 

The health workers', doctors' lives are oscillating over life or death in preventing and curing the infection, but our roles weren't much greater, and their anticipation wasn't that much. Simple, wear a mask and stand or talk at a distance from each other is enough to improve the situation and quickly get us back to a normal lifestyle. Everyone is stuck in some cage, and liberation is a must to cheer up the body and mind that has been exhausted overseeing the destruction of lives and livelihoods due to covid 19. It's every Indian's responsibility to save our country, to act according to it.  Let's work together.

10 comments:

L. D. said...

It is a difficult situation. I pray for your safety and of your family's too.

Tom said...

...too many people don't want to follow simple precautions.

George said...

I'm sorry to hear that Covid has struck so close to your family and friends. I hope you and your family will remain safe and that everyone throughout the world will get serious about fighting this virus.

Bill said...

The few are making it tougher for the many. It's simple to follow the precautions but selfish behavior takes it all. I hope this situation changes for the better for you and your family. Keep safe, Jeevan. We are all praying for India to get better.

Nancy Chan said...

The government has to be strict and tough but it also depends on each individual to curb the spread of the virus. There is a spike in our nation and things do not look so good. Take care. Keeping India in our prayer.

carol l mckenna said...

Yes, masks are definitely needed ~ Sending lots of healing energy hugs to you and your family ~ I am so sorry the Covid has touched you personally ~ It is a sad state of affairs for the world ~ Xo

Living moment by moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

ashok said...

Well written Jeevan

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am sorry for your loss of your family friend.
Wearing a mask and keeping the social distance is very important.
Take care and stay safe!

Rose said...

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I have not personally known anyone that has passed from covid.

Twilight Man said...

I extend my condolence to you for the loss of your dear family friend who had been a barber and musician. May his soul rest in peace till eternity.