Sunday, June 20, 2021

Kodaikanal Lake and Travel

Kodaikanal has been one of my favorite places ever since I visited in 1999. I had no idea how the place would look like other than learning it was a hill station like Ooty, the only other place I have visited then - two years earlier before visiting Kodaikanal. Since 2012 I have been visiting the Princess of Hill station yearly except in 2014, and my last trip was in 2019 so, it's obvious I haven't been there in the last two years.

Kodaikanal lake on a cold evening.
I really miss the place. Thanks to covid 19. Either we go to other places or not, we don't miss going to Kodaikanal, especially after my uncle established his Woodhouse and cottages in the lower hills of Kodaikanal. And needless to say, Kodaikanal has become like a second home for us, since next to our home, the longer we stay outside was only at Kodaikanal. The weather there has become familiar or adapted to us to visit any time of the year except the monsoon time where we could not explore any places due to rain and cold. 

A beautiful private boathouse along the Kodaikanal Lake.

A couple enjoying their boat ride in the lake. Glad motorboats are not allowed in the lake to keep it clean.
I have driven to many parts of the Kodaikanal, but yet there are many places to explore, and some are road-less traveled. I'm so curious to visit Kodaikanal, and other places too, and some never traveled before, when the situation becomes favorable. But the thought of Kodaikanal and travel, in general, keeps haunting me and inspires me to write more about them.

The road that goes around the Kodaikanal Lake for about 6kms

Cycling is one of the favorite activities for anyone who visits the Kodai lake, and you see some guys enjoying their ride around the lake. This is a candid shot I captured from inside the car.

There wasn't a trip to Kodaikanal complete without coming around the Kodaikanal Lake - the most favorite place in Kodaikanal. Taking a drive around the lake is a favorite pastime for me whenever I visit   Kodaikanal, and I also love spending time on the lake sipping on hot tea. The star-shaped lake is one of a beautiful artificial lake converted from a natural marshland, and it still retains its original despite the lack of cleanliness. Hope you like the lake photos I posted here.

Lake in thick mist and rain during a monsoon day in July

Btw. I have moved to 'Follow it' from 'FeedBurner' since they announced the discontinuation of the email subscription service in July 2021. Those who follow me through email, please subscribe again from the "Follow Me New column" in the sidebar, above the old email feed.

9 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

What a beautiful place and awesome photos ~ Namaste ~

Live in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bill said...

Kodaikanal Lake looks like a great place to visit and explore. The lake is a beauty. Have a wonderful week, Jeevan.

George said...

It's easy to see why you enjoy this place so much and have visited it often. I hope you can soon go back there again.

Nancy Chan said...

From the photos, I can see that it is a beautiful place for a getaway. Beautiful lake and nice and misty during a monsoon day.

ashok said...

I have great memories from kodai

Lady Fi said...

Looks great!

Twilight Man said...

I love to relax around such lakes under cooling weather with mists. Beautiful photos.

rudraprayaga said...

Wow! What a scenic beauty! Mind-boggling.

mun said...

Thank you for sharing the photos. From your photos, I can feel the serenity of the lake and the misty cold of a monsoon day. Thanks again.