Sunday, March 20, 2022

Scissor Beak Crow

This isn't the first time I've seen a crow with a scissor beak, also known as a crossed beak or crooked beak, which is a physical deformity in which the top and bottom of the chick's beak don't match correctly. It usually emerges within a week after the chick hatches.

I've seen some more crows with severely crossed or displaced beaks, which I assumed might be the cause of a fierce fight between the crows. But it wasn't until now that I learned that "scissor beak can be caused by inferior genetics, an injury to the chick's skull causing the growth plates to not grow at the same rate, or inappropriate incubation temperature."

Incorrect hatch positioning can also result in a scissor beak if the chick is not in the normal hatch position with her head tucked beneath one wing. A shortage of calcium, folic acid, or vitamin D can also lead to abnormal growth, but eating and drinking shouldn't be difficult unless it is serious. 

8 comments:

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeevan, :=) I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to visit, but the older I get, the less energy I have to visit my blog friends. I was also absent from blogging for two weeks due to illness.

I have not seen a bird like this before, except for the Crossbill. I hope it manages to eat. Thank you for all the info about Scissor beak Crow, which is really quite a handsome bird, and you took some great photos of it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Great photo, I have never heard of this Crow. I hope the Scissor-beak is not making eating and drinking too difficult. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

Tom said...

...wonderful captures.

Destination Infinity said...

I wouldn't have noticed the scissor beak, if u had not noticed and mentioned it! Good catch.

Destination Infinity

carol l mckenna said...

Great photos of the crows and informative about the scissor beak ~ namaste ~

Wishing you love and laughter in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

George said...

You got a great picture of the crow. Thaks for the information on possible causes of the 'scissor beak'.

Bill said...

I never heard of this bird before, nice capture and thanks for sharing.

Nancy Chan said...

You have sharp eyes to notice the scissor beak of the crow. I do hope it has no difficulty in eating. Have a great week.