Monday, November 07, 2022

Deepavali 2022 Celebration

Deepavali this year (Oct 24) was good, and I had nothing to do but watch the night shower of colorful fireworks that rocked the sky from all sides; however, I could only see the fireworks from the balcony that meets south. The day didn't feel any different to me, and as usual, the television shows were unwatchable, and I couldn't recall doing anything else with my time.


After five years, my uncle (my grandmother's sister's son) chose to spend Deepavali with us. I last celebrated Deepavali with him in 2017, and I wasn't expecting him to come, but it was a pleasant surprise, and he assisted me in lighting the fireworks I had purchased. Unlike others, we do not ignite Dias (lamps); of course, it is the festival of lights, where the rows of lamps adorn the houses; we used to do the same for Karthigai Deepam rather than Deepavali.

Nephew Kavin enjoys holding sparkler fireworks

So far as I recall, we only ignite fireworks in the evening, and the sound of crackers, despite its discomfort and animal hatred, has something to raise the festive spirit. I oppose sound and hence do not purchase sound crackers, but the sky shots emit sound, which is inevitable. I buy fireworks every year because I enjoy seeing them produce light and colors; I don't believe there is any link between fireworks and the festival of lights; it's the only time fireworks are accessible and burst, and most of us do the same. 

This Deepavali is also the time in five years that I went out on the day before Deepavali and visited one of my favorite beaches, Palavakkam Beach, with my uncle. Usually, I go out a day earlier to observe how things are going around the festival of lights, and seeing festival lights around gives me some self-enthusiasm. When it comes to festivals, no one in my family circle is as enthusiastic as I am, and I can't make anyone else feel the same way; at the very least, I celebrate myself with things going on around me. 

Following is a series of sky shots from the balcony:






8 comments:

kestrel said...

Kestrel here but blogger keep signing me as Beau Bo, still trying to correct this! Deepavali must be a much larger celebration in India than over here, we didn't get a single display of fire works here! Fire works are lovely and you got some good colours and shots. Kavin has grown tall and a happy child. I still remember the baby photos of kavin you posted. Lighting of the many oil lamps in the homes is slowing fading as the present generations look to other celebratory measures and forget the traditional ones. A sad evolution!

ashok said...

I felt there was more light and less sound this Deepavali...

Tom said...

...this looks like a colorful celebration.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful fireworks photos ~ Glad you had a good Deepavali ~ namaste ~


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your day,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy Chan said...

I like the colourful fireworks against the dark sky.

Nux V said...

wonderful fireworks! the local Indians here in Malaysia also lit up fireworks during Deepavali.

Bill said...

Super fireworks images. Glad you had a great time celebrating Deepavali.

George said...

You got some great shots of the fireworks and lights.