Monday, November 14, 2022

Nothing but a little regret!

It was a tunnel called the parental, and there was no light beyond it. No one knows much about me other than a concern, or I don't know that I haven't shown much of myself to anyone curious about the person I am or me. 

Aside from the primary feeling that life will be unbearably difficult without my parents, I worry about how understanding the people around me are. I don't travel far, but within my home and the extended family, beyond my mother and father, there is no awareness of me. 

People see me in my wheelchair all day, but I wonder what they think of me when I'm not sitting in a wheelchair.  Life isn't pleasant sitting in a wheelchair all day, but it is comfort compared to other obstacles such as attending nature calls, bathing, eating, sleeping, and other essential daily demands. I'm just thankful I have an electric wheelchair to get around on my own; otherwise, life would be difficult and timid. 

I just realized that, aside from my parents, the people around me don't know how to handle me unless I guide them. Still, the important thing is that they lack patience (which is a risk factor when dealing with me), and despite living nearby and seeing me daily, they lack the basic knowledge to assist me. They help us simply because we call them, rather than acting in their self-interest.

I was recently emotionally injured, albeit not directly affected, and I am positive it was related to my issue. I often felt like causing problems for someone because of how they behaved or acted hastily. 

It's a blessing and a curse at the same time that I can read the expressions on my loved ones' faces, perhaps because I notice details; even little changes don't escape my attention; the tone and, most of the time, their eyes reveal their intent while their lips go mute or overtalk. 

It all started in 2019 when my father had an angioplasty and stents placed. He had been cautioned not to lift weights, so he no longer lifted me for any position-changing activities. Since then, my brother and cousin have been assisting me with this, and we have only lately employed an assistant to help my parents place me in the bath and toilet. 

We had an assistant at the beginning of 2019, but he only came for one day; when he lifted me, I tore a ligament in my shoulder. We didn't look for anyone after that, but now that I couldn't bear the hardships we caused them, or at least lessen the burden, we seriously looked for a caretaker and got a nice guy through my physiotherapist. He works as an assistant radiologist in an ortho clinic, taking x-rays, and he agreed to assist me on the side.

Everything is going smoothly till now, and my heart also feels light that I won't bother my loved ones too much. Although I know they don't deny helping me at any time when we call, and I want to emphasize "just when we call," they are aware of how much I rely on them, but until we call, they don't reply or ask on their own and sometimes have to compel when they are out somewhere. It's difficult to do justice because they aren't obligated to answer, but I'm grateful for the unconditional help, which is impossible if they don't love me.   And I'm glad that, despite their apathy, they continue to help me, even though I'm upset that they do so without knowing anything about how things work for me!  


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always stood in your side and thought . I have read your introduction many times . Do not worry . There is a way and light ahead for everything. Everything will be fine . Who doesn’t have problems in this world ? I might be younger than you but this is what I have to say . Take care Jeevan

Kirtivasan Ganesan said...

I can understand.
You need to face it all friend.
Play chess. Do art. Play carrom. Learn guitar.
These are my suggestions to help pass time and mood.

Sandi said...

Praying for the Lord to send you someone special to help you, Jeevan. God bless you.

ashok said...

Count only the blessing Jeevan...Your are an inspiration to many.

carol l mckenna said...

Jeevan ~ I hear what you are saying ~ most people don't help people unless they are asked and we all need help at one time or another and it is hard to ask for help ~ it must be double difficult for you ~

handicaps are hard for all of us ~ But when they are more complex it is even harder ~ I find if I can be creative and find ways to 'be in the world' in a healthy way ~ e.g. ~ play chess, learn guitar ~ take care of your self as much as you are able ~ Hoping this new assistant will work out for you ~ You are in my thoughts and prayers. namaste,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your day,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

PS ~ send me an email when you feel the need to 'talk'

Bill said...

It must be very hard for people to totally understand your situation. It's also hard to ask for help, I find it incredibly hard to ask when I needed help. I hope this new assistant will work out well for you.
You are a good writer with your poetry, have you ever thought about writing a book that talks about life from the perspective of a wheelchair bound person. There could be an audience interested in that subject. Just a thought Jeevan, take care and have a good week.

Terra said...

Jeevan, your words are thoughtful and point out that people often help only when asked, and it is hard to ask. I hope you find a new companion or friend to spend time with, in person or online. Can you pursue a new hobby or two? During Covid I painted small smooth rocks, which was new to me. You can write more poetry, or you may have other ideas. Best wishes from me in California.

Nancy Chan said...

We all want to live independently and do not want to trouble those around us. It must be very hard on you knowing that you need to depend on others. I am sure your love ones and family members love you and will be there to help. It is just that they may not know the best way to do so. Humans have moods and sometimes they may not be in their best mood when they are around you. I hope this new assistant will be of great help to you and will be able to understand your needs.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeevan :=)

I have admired you from afar for so long because you are a gentle kind person, which is apparent in the words you write. You write well, and I know how difficult it is to ask for help, but you are greatly loved by your family.They may also have problems of their own, and not always be available. I'm so pleased to know you have someone who does understand your needs and that you like him. I hope he continues to be of help to you. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.