Friday, December 16, 2022

Weekend getaway to Auroville I

We went to Pondicherry two weekends ago, and it was an unplanned trip because my brother abruptly called from the gym at 9.30 pm on Friday (if you've been following my blog for a while, you know my brother owns a fitness center, aka gym, and he's also a trainer) asking if we could go to Pondicherry or Javadu Hills because he was free for two days. 

The beautiful monument at the entrance/exit of Pondicherry.

I had no intention of traveling and planned to skip if possible, but he was adamant about going somewhere, and we were still waiting even after I went to bed. He called from his room as if he had found a place to stay at Auroville on the outskirts of Pondicherry to accommodate the trip. We awoke with the same unsure mindset as he went to the gym as usual early in the morning; we considered canceling, but he arrived sooner, confirming the trip, and we had our breakfast, packed our lunch, and were out of there by late morning.

He planned to start the journey early in the morning to avoid traffic, but it was 11 when we left, and we didn't expect ECR to be crowded at that hour; nonetheless, it was free after the city limit. The road was in poor condition, or there was erosion of the upper layers in several places due to continuous rain, and the road expanding procedure slowed our progress. But we were not in a hurry and had no intention of stopping along the way; the ride was leisurely, and we arrived at Auroville in the evening. 

The day was sunny, and the sun was bright enough to dazzle; I captured some beautiful sky shots. Don't forget that we were traveling with a baby on board. This is my second trip with my nephew Kavin before the end of the year, and his travel adaption is far better than on previous trips. He enjoyed the place we stayed, but he had some worse coughing upon our return.

Though December is my favorite month to travel because of the cool weather that comes with the end of the rainy season and the beginning of winter, I have had to prevent travel for various reasons, including the lack of a travel wheelchair. We have a customized wheelchair for my travel needs, but it hasn't been finished yet, so I had to take my bucket seat wheelchair, which I use every day at home and is slightly heavier than a standard power wheelchair. 

My brother had not confirmed any lodgings but was sure to obtain some rooms in one of the many cottages and homestays there, but I continued to look for a wheelchair-accessible place while traveling.  I found a place that fit our budget and needs while still being close to the heart of Auroville:  the Matrimandir, a large golden sphere symbolizing the birth of a new consciousness.

As I already stated, I went with the flow because I didn't have time to plan anything. Even though we accommodate very close to the Matrimandir, I had no intention of visiting, seeing the golden sphere from the viewing point up to where visitors are allowed to watch quietly. 

I was inside the Matrimandir when it was still under construction roughly 22 years ago. Even then, it was quiet, and they installed a glass globe in the center of the dome structure, which glows in the sunlight. I couldn't view the glass globe because it was in an elevation position that steps could only reach. But it was an unforgettable experience; the second time, we were only allowed up to the viewing point, which I explored in my wheelchair.

I've included an image of the Matrimandir (and myself in front of it) shot in 2009 to illustrate the concept.

more on the trip in the next post... 


14 comments:

Tom said...

...getting aways is a wonderful thing and this looks like the perfect destination.

Schotzy said...

Glorious skies.. I love the cloudy when they get all stirred together!!

Bill said...

Looks like the place would be very enjoyable.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

The Matrimandir is impressive. Beautiful photos!

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome sky shots ~ Wow! namaste,


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Andree said...

Wonderful commentary for your great photos. I am learning the limits of travel for disabled people and I do not like. People (including me in the past, unfortunately) don't know what obstacles they put in our way. No one has been educated about it. Thank you for the tour.

Kirtivasan Ganesan said...

I have been to Pondicherry once.
Nice place.
And excellent sky photos.

ashok said...

I have been here in 1997...its a lovely place indeed

George said...

I really like your sky photos.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The first photos are dazzling. I can only imagine what they looked like live.

That big golden glass globe is amazing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeevan,
The monument is pretty. Beautiful sky photos.
Have a great day and happy new week!

Nancy Chan said...

Sometimes trips happen without any planning. Sounds like a wonderful getaway. Beautiful golden globe. Looking forward to the next post.

Nux V said...

such an impromptu road trip! your brother is so adventurous!

Twilight Man said...

This blog post is interesting with lovely photos. I seldom get to see nice skies in my place. Your monument photo looks very prominent and I am sure it commemorates some occasion. In ancient China, they built similar monument like yours but on a huge scale sizes. They would call it Victory Gate for the soldiers to match through in between the giant pillars after they fought and won the various wars.

Your handsome photo with the golden Matrimandir is impressive. It looks like a giant golf ball or UFO. LOLOL