Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Crow Nest and Crow Chicks

A couple of crows have built a nest in the Rain Tree right outside of the balcony. 2 months back, I saw a crow nest on the Indian Tulip Tree next to the Rain Tree, and the nest was rest on the treetop so I could only see that too not clear for the eyes or cam lens. But I'm not sure it was the same nest rebuilt here because once the crow started building the nest, the other one disappeared, which I didn't notice after the new one. 

 


The nest was there for nearly a month now, but only last week I saw chicks peeking top of the nest with a wide-open beak. The nest looks like a basket with a bowl-like pit and is surrounded by leaves to see when the crow laid eggs and hatched chicks. My cousin said she saw two eggs, and both seem to be hatched, but I see only one wide-open beak at a time, so I couldn't be sure it was the same.  

 


The crows are always there, either sitting on the nest to brood or maintain a watchful distance. The parenting crows are friendly with us, unlike early, hitting the head when coming out into the balcony when nested. Perhaps, because these crows see us daily or old residents of the neighborhood, despite picking up titbits from the leftover dog food on the balcony, one crow used to venture into the living room to seek food for its chicks.  

 

Another day I was eating something, and the crow came perched on the stool nearby in a gesture of asking for food, and the compassion in me couldn't stop dropping down pieces of food to the floor next to the wheelchair was picked up by the crow. We have a couple of dogs, and they always sleep on the balcony but never did they scared crows unless irritated, and for us, they are annoying sometimes when pooped on the clothes that are left for dry on the balcony rail. But for this reason, alone, we couldn't stop leaving food for crows.  


My mom captured the nest (pic above) from the balcony above us showed the chick's partial underparts. But seeing her shooting nest, the crows flew in and covered the chicks, and thus she couldn't capture a clear picture of the nest. I think the chicks would get the wing to fly in a few weeks, but so far, its wide-open red beak alone is visible for me.  

10 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome shot of our feathered friend chicks ~ Xo ~ namaste ~

Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Tom said...

...look at the hungry mouth!

Destination Infinity said...

Generally, crow's nests that I have seen are higher so I have not noticed much.. thanks to your photos I am now.. Good to know that you feed crows, it's a good practice.

Destination Infinity

Twilight Man said...

This is an interesting post that brought back memories of America. Their country is so huge that many birds could not find food or water during winter and early spring. So many houses would place special bowls of water and bird food on tall & cute posts in their garden. Everyday all kinds of colourful birds would visit. They do remember places and faces of kind people like you.

Nancy Chan said...

Amazing shots of crow's nest from your balcony. The hungry chicks must be very noisy when they are hungry. Interesting and entertaining too to watch the mother bird feeding the chicks. I agree with you about them leaving their poo on our laundry.

Libby said...

I remember crows have great memories that they can recognise human faces and behaviour.

mun said...

Thank you for feeding the crows. The world need more kind people like you.

eileeninmd said...

Hello

What a great view of the nest and the cute chicks. They look adorable sitting their with their mouths open and waiting for food. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving a comment on my post.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How amazing to have them that close and to get such good photos! WOW!

ഷൈജു.എ.എച്ച് said...

Bird watching is an interesting hobby. I read it very interestingly. the pictures are also very nice. I am expecting to see the flying chicks wings with feathers soon.