Tuesday, January 04, 2022

New Year with Nephews

We celebrated our new year by cutting the cake in the wake of the New Year, keeping ourselves awake beyond midnight like usual, but unusual about this New Year was the cake and nephew Jeswanth. After 2015 I stopped cutting cakes for the New Year, not that I don't celebrate the new year, and though I lost interest in cake cutting, the real reason was no one to celebrate. 

For the New Year 2013, all my cousins met me on New Year’s Eve and stayed at our house all night to cut the New Year's cake and celebrate with joy. That was the last time I enjoyed the New Year and later years were just we 3 - me, mom, and dad - woke up till midnight, watching television, which boomed with a loud greeting of the happy New Year and a few greeting calls from dear ones beginning our year. 

Usually, my brother used to go to bed early or visit his friends on New Year’s Eve, so it was only the 3. Now, after shifting to the native home with my uncle's family in the adjacent portion, we have at least a few people around, but I still miss the cousins' company with whom I find delight. This year, my uncle's family came up with a surprise cake, and the arrival of my nephew is the reason behind it. This being his first new year (and first time seeing a cake), he was excited only to pick up the cake to eat rather than cutting the cake.

My nephew's activities have increased a lot these days, it's fun to watch them, and he's eight months now to sit and crawl on his own, and except for the time he sleeps, it is hard to control. Keeping an eye on him has become a must. He was kept awake till midnight to cut the cake, but unhappily, he has kept away from eating the cake as we can't feed him the same without consulting the doctor because he just got well from diarrhea.

Kavin - my other nephew and brother's son - 2 months old, visited us last week. As per custom, a newborn baby has to stay at his maternal parent's home for at least 5 months before moving into the paternal home. So, they stayed only for two days, and he's too little to have fun as he smiles and cries at the same. He notices the movements and sounds to either smile or cry, and he's someone who sleeps all day and is awake through the night. So, his wake-up time is too little in the day times to play. 

9 comments:

Nancy Chan said...

Glad that once again the cake cutting is revived to welcome the New Year. It is fun to have more people joining in the celebration. Amazing how babies grow so fast and their curiosity to explore everywhere when they can move around.

Tom said...

...I hope that you all will be healthy and happy in 2022.

carol l mckenna said...

Happy New Year to you and how wonderful to have a larger family to celebrate with and 2 babies ~ both so sweet and then cutting the cake is a wonderful tradition you have ~ lovely post and photos. namaste,

Wishing you peace in your day,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bill said...

Sounds like you had a wnderful time celebratin the new year with your nephews. How very special, Jeevan. I hope everyone in your family has a happy and healthy 2022.

Rose said...

I am glad you got to see your nephews...they are so adorable.

Haddock said...

May your cousin see more New (and better) Years in future.

rudraprayaga said...

It is always great to be with our kin, especially on celebrating occasions. Nice. Enjoyed your nephew’s company. May you have all that is the best during 2022,Jeevan.

kestrel said...

Isn't it great to celebrate festivals with family? I think it is nice that you have family living just next door and your little nephew who will be source of constant entertainment now. I noticed he is all brightly dressed in red for the New Year

Rakesh Vanamali said...

I'm glad you got to spend time with your nephews. It does feel very special and happy to spend time with the family, whether there are cakes or not!