Thursday, April 28, 2022

Signs2: Kodaikanal

It's been three years since I visited one of my favorite places, the Princess of Hill Stations, Kodaikanal. COVID has prevented me from meeting my lovely princess. Even if I get a chance, which may be brighter immediately, my traveling wheelchair isn't helping me because it wasn't used regularly, and the joystick becomes more difficult to maneuver. 

Signboard of my uncle's wood house in Kodaikanal

My aunt has been calling me to come to stay at their woodhouse in Thandikudi, on the Kodaikanal half-mountain, where they are currently camping with my grandma. I couldn't accept their invitation as I am not yet ready to travel. Apart from the wheelchair, I don't have anyone to assist because both my brother and the cousin who often takes me out are busy with their jobs, so either one of them has to accommodate me or I need to look out for someone who could assist me on travel.

Before I go further off track, I come to the sign I posted above. There is a welcome sign to Kodaikanal by the highways department at the entrance of the town or before passing the tollgate.  If you've noticed, there's a small typo on the signboard: "Deportment" instead of "Department."

The word "deportment" refers to behavior, whereas "department" refers to an organization or division of government agencies. 

I wish the days weren't so far away from where I could take distance travel. Even though I only visited Yelagiri in February, and on that trip too, I couldn't experience any places owing to a faulty joystick. I may be able to travel in less than three months because I have ordered a new wheelchair, which may take a month to build as it was to be customized to my comfort and needs. 

I take this chance to organize a wheelchair to be driven into the car through the back door and parked in the empty passenger seat. Because the vertical height of our SUV and its entryway is insufficient for a regular wheelchair to enter or exit,  I've requested a wheelchair with a seat that can be raised down and up, so this facility will save me from having to modify the car. 

7 comments:

Bill said...

Sorry to hear about your wheelchair but glad that you will be getting a new one so hopefully that will get you to travel again. Spelling mistakes on signs happens here too, you would think they would go through some review before a sign is made. Have a great upcoming weekend.

Tom said...

...it's good to hear that you finally were able to make the trip to this special place!

George said...

I'm sorry to hear about your inability to travel recently, but I hope the new wheelchair will make travel possible soon. I enjoy following your travels and hope they can soom resume.

carol l mckenna said...

Do hope your wheelchair problem is resolved soon and you will be mobil again ~ Always great to get your comments on my blog ~ namaste ~

Wishing you love and laughter in your days ~

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I hope you are able to get around soon, a new one will be nice for your travels. Take care, enjoy your day and week ahead.

Nancy Chan said...

I hope the new wheelchair with adjustable seat will enable you to travel more. I also hope that someone will be able to accompany and assist you in your travels. Enjoy your week.

Rose said...

I am glad to hear you coukd order a new wheel.chair. I hope it is finished sooner than expected.