Friday, September 24, 2021

Masks and Events

Masks have become mandatory in the period of the pandemic. Just because I didn't go out much, I did not experience the difficulties of wearing a mask much - except going through my brother's engagement and marriage last year, and the baby showers of my cousin at the beginning of the year and sister-in-law's yesterday. Mask doesn't become a matter in my life. I wear a mask only when I go for an evening walk on Sundays or guests visit our home. Since the members in our home follow the protocol sincerely leaves me pretty casual at home, and even seldom do they miss a thing or two, I remind them in earnest. 

The difficulty I experience - wearing a mask - is most difficult to speak and respond through a smile. It's not easy for me to lift my hands above the elbow unless I use a board or the wheelchair tray to support the hands, so usually, my response to those gestures by hands to say hi or bye is replay through a smile and headshake.  I got mild neck pain yesterday at the sister-in-law's baby shower responding to the relatives and friends visited the venue. I wore a mask the entire occasion, though it wasn't much difficult to complain rather than talking and responding to the guests, I hesitated to speak and converse wearing the mask. 

I saw two kinds of people at the event, those who wore the mask and those don't. And there's a third kind that masks the mouth alone or covers their cheeks. It has been proved that the events like these are the spreading ground of Covid, and keeping this in mind, we invited only close relatives and friends to count about 100 total, but it reached out of hand to about 150 members. 

I decided to stay in a corner to keep distance myself from others. I also minded them neither they check me nor not; I tried to stay away until finding me on their own. I like to interact with people and hear stories from their corners, and occasions like these are bridges to connect with people from distant relatives and friends, but now it is out of reach due to pandemic block. Though we know it's a temporary block, the occasion like these are limited in my life as I don't attend every event that takes place in our family, the pandemic has suppressed the leftover chances. 

The venue (of the event) is close to my house, so I went there in my wheelchair, and the hall located on ground level made my attendance easy. My uncle accompanied me to and fro the hall, And also, the event ended well, and those who could not attend the wedding (due to the cyclone then) made a visit to bless the couple. It's also one of the reasons for the rise in the number of visitors. 

Instead of turning better, the situation in our state continues to be the same or to say the cases of covid is slightly rose in last few days increases the anxiety. This event was something possible only because of the decrease in covid cases and relaxed lockdown. It's all in our hands to make such events possible only if all followed the protocol and sustain self-discipline.

9 comments:

Tom said...

...masks save lives.

ashok said...

Totally agree Jeevan

Bill said...

It's too bad everyone doesn't follow the rules. We still wear masks when we go in to shops and on public transportation. It's good that you kept your distance. Better safe than sorry. Enjoy the weekend!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jeevan

I think we would all like to stop wearing a mask, it can be trying at times.
If only everyone would follow the simples rules, get the vaccine, wear the mask and keep a social distance at times. Take care and stay safe. Have a happy new week!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful reflective post on 'masks' ~ a necessary part of life right now ~ sigh ~ Xo

Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeevan,:=) You were quite right to keep your distance, because even when you have had the two vaccinations you can still get the variant, like some people I follow in blog land, and they were very ill for a long time, and have still not completely recovered. Why some people take risks by not wearing the proper masks that cover both nose and mouth, , and those who simply don't wear masks, is beyond my comprehension. "I miss the smiles,"hidden by the masks but accept that we must continue to wear them
Take care.:=)

Nancy Chan said...

I agree that wearing a mask blocks our smiles. I usually respond by waving or raising a hand or with a head nod. I too speak less because of the mask and I am mindful in keeping a safe distance from others. I don't understand why some people are still careless in wearing mask. It is about protecting ourselves and others even though we have been fully vaccinated.

kestrel said...

I hope your neck pain disappears and you feel better soon. I tend to stay away from large gatherings but it was good for you to meet friends and family again. Sometimes being in a corner away from the crowd is a good thing, can watch people! I think we have to bear with wearing masks until next year at least. I hope with the vaccines, the situations will improve and even if covid-19 stays as an endemic disease, we can at least get to a more normal lifestyle. Stay well Jeevan

Twilight Man said...

I always felt uncomfortable wearing a mask. The material causes my nasal area to sweat as my skin is sensitive. Then it gets itchy and red on my cheek. Like it or not, I still wear them as I go out a lot. Hopefully the world will become mask-free again. Stay safe bro!